When Mike and I moved in to our house it had been empty for three-quarters of a year and the garden had gone to seed a bit. I could tell the garden had potential but it needed a little work to make it lovely.
I mentioned to my friend, Belen, that I wanted to do something with my garden and was a bit at a loss for exactly how to get it to look like the garden in my head. She generously offered to help me out. We went over the plan for the garden and she suggested plants to help me get the right look. After a few texts back and forth, we settled on a day to make the plans a reality.
Before the big day, I had picked up a few tools, some weedkiller, and found some empty planters in the shed. The day of the garden overhaul Belen arrived with trimmers (in every size imaginable), extra potting soil, brushes, miscellaneous tools, and flowers. So between the two of us we had everything we needed.
First we got rid of the weeds in the flower beds and between the tiles. While I finished weeding, Belen also re-potted the flowers she brought with her and a bunch that were being squished by some bushes.
After the weeds were gone, we trimmed the trees and bushes. We decided to dig out the big bush in the back corner to make room for the Hortensia. After a trip to the tuincentrum (to pick up more soil, citroenmelisse, and a Clematis), we planted the Hortensia and the Clematis. Belen made sure that the Clematis would grow in all directions to cover the lattice.
Thank you so much, Belen, for your generosity and hard work.